Classic Ukrainian Borscht
This recipe for classic Ukrainian borscht was found at Natasha’s Kitchen food blog. This recipe is meatless, but you can add in cubed beef, broth, and bones to add more flavor.
2 large or 3 medium beets, thoroughly washed
2 large or 3 medium potatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
4 Tbsp of cooking oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
½ head of cabbage, thinly chopped
1 can kidney beans with their juice
2 bay leaves
10 cups water
6 cups chicken broth
5 Tbsp ketchup
4 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp chopped dill
- Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add 2 – 3 beets. Cover and boil for about 1 hour. Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
- Slice 3 potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15-20 minutes.
- Grate both carrots and dice one onion. Add 4 Tbsp of cooking oil to the skillet and saute vegetables until they are soft (7-10 minutes). Stir in ketchup when they are almost done cooking.
- Thinly shred ½ a cabbage and add it to the pot when potatoes are half way done.
- Next, peel and slice the beets into match sticks and add them back to the pot.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juice) to the pot.
- Add sauteed carrots and onion to the pot along with chopped dill.
- Cook another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is done.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, mayo, or horseradish.