Arugula Tomato Pasta
This Arugula Tomato Pasta recipe, found on Sumpsimus’s blog, is an easy summer dish made with arugula, tomatoes, and a creamy garlic sauce that comes together in minutes. Enjoy!
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
10 oz baby arugula (or as much as you like)
1 tsp dry basil
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Zest of one lemon
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup milk
½ lb penne pasta
salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Salt it and add the pasta. Cook the pasta until a little less than al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a saucepan.
- Add the flour to the oil and stir until browned.
- Gently add the milk to the roux, whisking all the time. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer for a minute or two until thickened to a saucy consistency. Turn off the heat.
- Add salt, pepper, zest, and basil to the sauce.
- Mix the drained pasta with the sauce and cover. The pasta will soak up the sauce while the veggies cook.
- Heat the other Tbsp of oil in a skillet. Add the garlic. Sauté until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, arugula, and cook until just wilted. Season to taste.
- Serve the arugula tomato mixture over the pasta.