Gorgonzola Potatoes and Peas
If you like rich, creamy dishes, you’ll love this recipe from the “Simply Organic” cookbook. Serves 8.
1½ lb small red potatoes
1 lb fresh peas, shelled
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cup milk
4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes, whole and unpeeled, for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain. Leaving the skin on the potatoes, cut into quarters.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F, and lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Melt the 4 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until the flour turns a light brown. Very gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cheese, chives, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and peas and toss to coat well. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned.