Classic Eggplant Parmesan
Overwhelmed with all of the eggplant that we have been getting in the shares? Eggplant Parmesan is an easy family favorite, and freezes well for future eating!
2 medium/large eggplants
salt & pepper
2 cups (minimum) of tomato sauce
½ lb grated mozzarella cheese
Basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel eggplants if skin is thick, and cut into ½ inch slices. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- In large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp oil. Cook eggplant slices in hot oil in batches. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until browned.
- Season with salt & pepper while cooking. Drain slices on paper towels when done, while cooking the next batch. Add more oil to the pan as needed.
- In baking dish, coat the bottom with tomato sauce. Then arrange one layer of eggplant slices, more sauce, then cheese. Repeat layers. Add basil if desired.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until cheese has fully melted, and sauce is bubbly.