Harvest Stuffed Acorn Squash
From the cookbook, Cooking Close to Home, here is a colorful recipe that is simple to make. The recipe serves 4. Enjoy!
2 acorn squash, cut in half and center cleaned out
¾ cup apple cider
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
⅔ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped fresh mushroom, any local variety
1 cup chopped apple
2 cups loosely chopped kale
1 cup cooked rice (short grain)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place the squash in a casserole dish, cut side facing up. Pour the cider evenly into the 4 squash halves, and cover the pan. Bake for 1 hour or until the squash is fully cooked.
- About 15 minutes before the squash is ready, begin preparing the filling. Using a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper, mushrooms and apple to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the kale, cooked rice, salt and pepper and cook until the rice is thoroughly heated and the filling is completely mixed.
- Remove the squash from the oven and discard any remaining cider. Divide the filling into the 4 squash halves and serve.