This Stuffed Tomatoes recipe comes from New York Times Magazine’s: The Proper Ways to Treat an Heirloom (August 5, 2011).
4 large tomatoes
8 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped basil
4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450º. Grease a roasting pan.
- Cut a ¼ inch slice from the stem end of each tomato and scoop out the insides. Reserve the slice.
- Place tomatoes on greased pan. Mix pulp with mozzarella, bread crumbs, basil and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the mixture. Replace the slice on top of the stuffed tomatoes and drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil on top.
- Roast tomatoes in oven for 30 minutes. Garnish with more chopped basil.