Pan Fried Smashed Potatoes
A simple, quick recipe from Gourmet magazine’s March 2009 issue. These are everything potatoes should be: crisp-skinned yet pillowy, sprinkled with a generous amount of salty parmesan. They require no laborious peeling and are much easier to prepare than french fries. Serves 4.
8 medium red potatoes (about 1¾ lb)
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Generously cover potatoes with cold water in a 3-4 quart pot and add 1 Tablespoon salt. Boil until almost tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and lightly crush to about ¾ inch thick with a potato masher, keeping potatoes intact as much as possible.
- Heat oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Transfer potatoes with a spatula to skillet, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Fried potatoes can be kept warm in a sheet pan in a 200°F oven up to 30 minutes.