Squash-Spiked Mashed Potatoes
While this recipe, from the magazine Whole Living, calls for Yukon potatoes, any potato will work. As presented, the recipe serves 6.
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 small butternut squash (2 lb) peeled, seeded and chopped
1 bay leaf
5-7 sprigs fresh thyme
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- In a large pot, cover potatoes, squash and herbs with water. Season generously with salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup cooking liquid, then drain and discard herbs.
- Return vegetables to pot and mash with butter until smooth. Add cooking liquid to adjust consistency.
- Adjust seasoning, top with nutmeg, and serve.